Welcome to the Kennesaw Mountain Chapter NSDAR

The Kennesaw Chapter NSDAR held its first official meeting on May 20, 2017. The meeting took place at the Ben Robertson Community Center, set on Watts Drive in historic Kennesaw.

To meet the demand for growth, Loriann White was appointed by DAR Georgia State Regent Joyce Ball Patton as Organizing Regent and tasked to establish a new chapter in the Kennesaw, Acworth and Woodstock area. The chapter organized on April 13, 2017, with thirteen members who joined from four surrounding chapters. The chapter was approved by the NSDAR National Board of Management on May 5, 2017.

The Kennesaw Mountain Chapter was named after the legendary Kennesaw Mountain, located in Cobb County Georgia. The mountain was named for an Indian chief. The name "Kennesaw" is derived from the Cherokee Indian "Gah-nee_sah" meaning 'cemetery' or burial ground. The mountain was the site of the famous battle during the Civil War. Established as Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Site on February 18, 1917, it was transferred from the War department on August 10, 1933, and re-designated a national battlefield park on June 26, 1935. As with all historic areas administered by the National Park Service, the park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966. During the Great Depression of the 1930s, Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park was the site of Camp Brumby, a Civilian Conservation Corps site.